Low carbon energy
A district energy network will provide low carbon heating, cooling and electricity to Brent Cross London via a dedicated energy centre and distribution network. Coupled with energy efficiency lighting and high performing building materials, the carbon emissions from Brent Cross London will be significantly better than the standards required by Building Regulations.
New Brent Riverside Park
Brent Cross London will deliver a new riverside park that will be created along the banks of the River Brent. The river will be returned to its natural state, which will boost biodiversity and increase habitat value. Within the riverside park there will be opportunities for seating and informal recreation, artwork, the experience of nature, as well as strategic cycleways and footpaths.
Easy to get to and easy to get around
To provide easy and safe movement for pedestrians and cyclists, we are re-designing the whole area:
- Two new bridges over the A406, including a Living Bridge, providing dedicated pedestrian walkways, cycleways and bus lanes
- A new and improved bus station serving more bus routes and providing high quality waiting areas
- Brent Riverside Park providing a new east-west link adjacent to the river with links to the shopping centre.
Best practice environmental initiatives
Brent Cross London will be targeting a range of targets and initiatives to enable it to be a sustainable development. These include:
- Using the BREEAM environmental assessment methodology to appraise the development, meeting a “Very Good” rating, and aspiring to reach an “Excellent” rating
- Installing 'green roofs' on at least 10% of the roof space across the development, thereby increasing the ecological value across the area, reducing heat loss from buildings, improving air quality and providing bird habitats.
- The collection of at least 10% of rainwater to be used for irrigation and sustainable drainage measures to limit water run-off during storms and heavy rain.
- Installation of low-water use fittings such as taps, showers and toilets.